First United Methodist Church

Mansfield, OH (circa 1908 – attributed to Von Gerichten Art Glass Co., Columbus, OH)

Full restoration of 3 large (15′ x 20′) gothic arrays; each containing 44 individual panels. Lower vignette sections contain 3-dimensional drapery glass; detailed painted enamel faces, hands, and feet; and up to 3 layers of plated glass to create visual depth. Due to the weight of the plated/drapery sections, severe deflection was occurring.

  • Full restoration of all panels included modifications to make plated sections resistant to dirt/water infiltration
  • Painted/fired overlays were used to fill in sections of failed enamels
  • Protective coverings were permanently removed as windows were restored and re-installed
  • Restoration of wood frames included the addition of square-tube steel ‘spines’ along the interior runs of vertical mullions to add rigidity to the aging frames – molding was added to camouflage the ‘spines’ which now look like part of the wood profile
  • Exterior of wood frames were scraped, primed, and painted – Wood epoxy and fillers were applied to surfaces with surface damage; sections of mill work were replaced when damage was severe
  • Up-sized cold-rolled round steel bars gave additional support to plated/drapery sections
  • Functionality of steel ventilators was restored by grinding down corroded surfaces and repainting